Dental Care for Children
Your children deserve the dental care we expect for our own families. All Children are welcome at Woodhill Dental Care. Services for children up until 19 years old are provided FREE under the NHS.
We have created a fun children’s club called Woodies Brush Club and have been given permission by the head of education to visit local schools and nurseries to spread the dental health message. Your child may have met us already, if not look out for our open days during the school holidays. There is always lots of fun, competitions and educational games to teach children about good diet and tooth care habits.
Bring your child along as soon as their first teeth appear. That way they will feel comfortable in the environment and we can establish good habits for life. We will show you how to care for you and your families teeth. We understand the pressures of a busy family life and offer sensible advise to suit your life style focusing on the needs of your child.
At your childs first visit we will;
- check their medical history and general health
- talk about their diet and oral hygiene habits
- evaluate their oral hygiene and check for decay
- assess their jaw & tooth development
- assess dental risk
- assess need for fluoride
- implement age appropriate cleaning tips
- discuss mouth guards where appropriate
- provide preventative and restorative services
- answer your questions or concerns
For a lifetime of smiles from birth to the teenage years follow these top tips;
- Attend your dentist as soon as teeth appear
- Brush your baby’s gums and teeth twice a day with a fluoride tooth paste
- Use a children’s tooth paste below 6 years and a pea sized amount of normal adult toothpaste after 6 years
- Help your child brush until they are at least 7 years old
- Begin flossing around 11 years old
- Never put a child to bed with a bottle of juice or milk or a dummy dipped in sweet liquids
- Use a baby cup from 6 months old
- Drink only water or milk, juices must be kept to a minimum
- Snacks should be sugar free
- Sweet treats are best consumed after meals
Calming the anxious child
Dentists have special training in helping anxious children feel secure during dental treatment. Our dentists have many years of experience dealing with children and welcome parents in to the surgery during visits to discuss all aspects of their child’s care and treatment.
Orthodontic treatment is used to straighten teeth. Braces are used to improve the appearance and health of teeth and gums.
Generally it is carried out between 12-14 years however it can vary from patient to patient. Braces are usually worn for 6 – 12 months and can be fixed (most common) or removable. Dental health must be excellent for orthodontic treatment to commence. Treatment is carried out by an orthodontist in their own clinic. However, it is important for the patient to attend their dentist every 6 months to reinforce oral hygiene and diet advice.
At each visit to Woodhill Dental Care we will assess the growth and development of your child’s teeth and refer them to an orthodontist as soon as it is necessary.
4 out of 5 cavities appear on the biting surface of the back teeth. Fissure seals are applied to the narrow crevices to help stop food and bacteria becoming lodged and causing decay.
Fissure seals are a safe effective way to help prevent tooth decay. They take just a few minutes to apply and last several years. It is still important to maintain good oral hygiene and dietary habits in order to keep your teeth in the best possible condition.
I was very nervous and hadn’t been to the dentist for years. All of the staff and my dentist at woodhill dental care made me feel relaxed and positive about how I could improve my teeth and smile. I am so glad I found them”
- TL Bishopbriggs
My dentist took the time to explain all the treatment options available to me in an easy to understand manner, they were always happy to answer my questions whenever I phoned and made the treatment comfortable and pleasant. I would recommend woodhill dental care to any one.
The whole team at woodhill dental care are helpful and professional. They really help you to look after your teeth. The payment plans mean there are no scary bills and no excuse for missing your appointments!”